Monday, November 21, 2011

MMP or Vote for Change: Who Gives A Shit?

After being asked a few times about whether I prefer MMP or FPP or the alternative systems. To be succinct and direct about it, I don't really care. I do like systems that encourage smaller parties and independents, but my cynicism tells me that all systems can be manipulated, abused, and criticized.

While Labour actively supports MMP, they get awfully upset when it works to the benefit of the right-wing parties. John Key prefers SM but also doesn't really give a shit.

It's up to New Zealanders to decide. Being such a small issue and one with little interest, the referendum would be best voluntary. That way, only tubthumping people who do give a shit, will have their say.

For the record: My vote will be to change the system (knowing MMP will win), and choose STV as the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and joining the discussion! Remember to keep the language classy, and I'm a stickler for grammar :P